I need to recruit an assistant for the public engagement project I’m just starting: Nappy Science Gang.
Could suit someone just starting out in their career in science communication or similar. Or someone retired who’d like to do something interesting one day a week. Or a parent who wants part-time work that can fit round their commitments.
- It will be one day’s work a week for seven months.
- It will be on an exciting and innovative public engagement project.
- You’ll get a regular (if modest) income for seven months and interesting and varied work. You’ll be working with me, which you may or may not consider a bonus. I am an award-winning and experienced public engagement practitioner. I have also been variously described as: charming, abrasive, bloody-minded, funny, a pain in the arse and, ‘Like Spike Milligan, you have to dig through a lot of shit to get to the nuggets of pure genius.’
- You’d be working remotely, but we can keep in touch via email skype and phone. There may be some travel involved – probably one or two trips to Leeds and/or London. No overnights required (unless you live a really long way from Leeds or London). Travel expenses will be covered, of course.
- Readable prose style
- Basic-ish tech – editing wordpress blogs and similar
- Promotion – twitter, press releases
- Research, finding contributors, fact-checking
- Basic video – filming and editting
- Science education to A level or above
- Interest in reusable nappies
One day a week for 31 weeks (seven months)
Pay: £68/day (£8.50 an hour for 8 hours)
Don’t be put off if you have few of the desirable skills – that’s why they are desirable not essential. If you think it sounds interesting, then that is probably as good an indication as any that you should apply. Also, don’t rely on your own judgement about whether you have charm. Ask a friend. In my experience, many people who are charming don’t realise it, and many people who think they are charming really aren’t.
EDITED to add: I should have said, you’ll need to invoice me as a self-employed person, so you’ll need to register as self-employed, if you aren’t already.
Also, I’d like to appoint someone pretty quickly, so closing date for applications will be Friday 3rd April. With the person starting work on Friday 10th April, or shortly thereafter.
I’ve also had several people asking similar questions about how the work will be scheduled, so I’ll say a bit more about that here.
It wouldn’t need to be 8 hours all in a row on one day. It could be spread over the week. Although I’d prefer if there was one half day chunk that was done altogether, because I think that’s best for getting longer tasks done. But you could then do an hour here and an hour there, to get what you need to do done.
It would be nice to fix a time when we are both going to be working each week, where we could have a catch up meeting for the week and work out the priorities for that week (prob on skype). Say, an hour on Monday morning. But this could be arranged for a mutually convenient time and it could potentially move on any given week if needed.
Other than that, we’d work out what needs to be done that week, and as long as we are keeping in touch, you could do stuff when it suits you. As long as you don’t mind me occasionally texting or emailing to say, ‘Damn, we have to do X by Wednesday, any chance you could do it today?’
If you are interested in the job, read this and this, to get a better idea of what you might be letting yourself in for. Then, if you think you are interested, email me a CV and a SHORT covering letter explaining why you would be perfect for the role.